Work has started to clear a brownfield site for a new housing development in Houghton, Carlisle.
Story Homes will soon start work to build 99 homes on the site of the former Hadrian’s Camp in Houghton.
The development, to be known as Eden Gate, was granted planning permission in January this year.
Contractors are now on site undertaking site clearance works prior to infrastructure construction which starts in Spring. Photography recording is also taking place to accurately record foundations of the old MoD buildings. The work has been timed to cause minimal disruption to the bird breeding season.
The development will help Carlisle City Council to meet its housing requirements target but will also bring a number of other benefits and enhancements to the area and the economy. These include:
- Up to 25 affordable homes for local people; 12 of these properties to be managed by a social landlord and 13 properties to be sold at a discounted rate to local people who meet criteria set by the local authority
- Creation of jobs both directly and indirectly through subcontractors and local supply chain
- Contribution of around £200,000 to increase school place provision at Houghton Primary School
- Support the sustainability of existing village services
- Contribution of £65,000 towards Cumbria Wildlife Trust as part of new ecological improvements
- Improved landscaping, large open spaces and ecology enhancement works including new SUDS pond and contained wildflower grassland planting
- Potential for upgrades to existing community play park provision, subject to satisfaction of Local Authority
The first homes at Eden Gate are due to be released for sale in Autumn 2015.
For more information click here.