We hope that you’re one of the lucky ones who receives a beautiful bouquet of flowers for Valentines Day. If you do then we’re sure that you’d love to make them last as long as they can in your home? We spoke to the experts at Vandella Flowers in Carlisle for some handy hints and tips:
First things first, if your flowers came in a cellophane bubble, remove this as soon as possible.
Deciding on a location
- Place fresh flowers in a location away from drafts and extreme temperatures.
- Do not place flowers in a windowsill or other location in full sun.
- Avoid places where flowers can contact ethylene gas, which is emitted from cigarettes and fruit
Make Them Last Longer
- Keep flowers in a cool location.
- Keep your vase filled with water, even if it uses floral foam.
- Immediately remove dead or wilting leaves and stems from fresh flower arrangements.
- Change your water when it starts getting cloudy.
- When changing water, cut flower stems ends at a 45° angle to help them re-absorb fresh water.
- If your florist sent floral preservative packets, use them when changing water by following the instructions.